Proposal: Let's use "JPI" as the acronym to refer to JSON:API

I recently read this really well thought out long-form article: Headless CMS: REST vs JSON:API vs GraphQL. After reading it, I looked into JSON:API and found the spec to make a lot of logical sense to me. My understanding so far is that this spec provides a way to create public APIs that behave in a predictable and easy to understand way for clients while reducing the quantity of request-response cycles as much as possible.

Now, as a recent convert, I want to promote this spec to other software engineers I meet in my day-to-day life. One problem I am having for my evangelism is that JSON:API has a certain level of ambiguity to its name since many current REST APIs are JSON… APIs. In response to this confusion, I propose that we adopt an easy to say acronym that differentiates this spec more wholly from REST APIs and the best thing I could come up with is JPI.

Just sharing my thoughts on this matter since I would like to help this community grow.

2 Likes

I don’t have an opinion about JPI, but I do find the actual name really confusing. I’d like an acronym, nickname, or even a complete new name.

For example, sometimes people come on this board to ask questions about JSON APIs in general.

1 Like